What is Weight Management?
What is the Importance of maintaining a healthy weight?
Weight management is important for both men and women, as being overweight or obese can increase the risk of several health problems. Men are also at risk for metabolic syndrome and erectile dysfunction.
Scientific studies have also shown that men who are obese have a much higher risk of premature death than men of a healthy weight. A published study in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in 2013 found that men who were overweight had a 27% increased risk of premature death, while men who were obese had a 56% increased risk.
But this can be avoided using simple but effective changes for managing weight loss.
Five Strategies for Healthy Weight Management
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet: One of the most effective ways to manage weight is to adopt a healthy and balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats. This can help control calorie intake.
- Regular physical activity: Regular physical activity is essential for weight management, as it helps to burn calories and build muscle. This can include walking, running, cycling, swimming, and weightlifting.
- Managing stress: Stress can lead to overeating and weight gain, so it’s important to manage stress levels through meditation, yoga, or deep breathing. Gwyneth Paltrow has extensively spoken about the importance of yoga and meditation in her weight management routine.
- Getting enough sleep: Adequate sleep is essential for weight management. Studies have shown that people who earn less than 7 hours of sleep every night are likely to become overweight or obese.
- Seeking support: Lastly, seeking support from friends, family, and a professional can help with weight management. Support can come in many forms, from accountability partners to professional guidance from a registered dietitian or personal trainer.
These weight management strategies are guaranteed to be simple yet effective. Celebrities also use most of them to keep themselves fit and balanced.
Stages of Weight Loss
Different stages of weight loss can be complex and multi-faceted. And it is no less than a common fact that weight loss doesn’t occur overnight, and there is no rapid weight loss. So, it is a long process, with each stage having a different characteristic.
- The pre-contemplation stage is when an individual is not currently considering weight loss and may not be aware of the health risks associated with being overweight or obese.
- The contemplation stage is the stage where an individual is aware of the health risks associated with being overweight or obese and is considering making changes to their diet and exercise habits. They may also be setting weight loss goals and researching different methods.
- The preparation stage is where an individual has committed to losing weight and is actively preparing for weight loss. They may be seeking resources such as a weight loss program, a personal trainer, or a registered dietitian to help them.
- The action stage is where an individual has begun changing their diet and exercise habits and is actively working towards their weight loss goals.
- The maintenance stage is where an individual has reached their weight loss goal and is working to maintain their new weight. They may monitor their progress, adjust their diet and exercise routine and seek support from others to help them stay on track.
It is worth noting that these stages are not strictly linear, and an individual may move back and forth between stages.
Key Factors that Affect Weight Loss
Weight is completely a dependent variable with numerous factors that affect weight loss. So if you find it hard or easy to lose weight, it’s not just because of what technique you’re applying. The major physical factors contributing to body weight are genetics and hormones. There is more at play in the background, such as:
- Genetics: Genetics can play a role in weight management by influencing factors such as metabolism, appetite, and body composition.
- Hormonal imbalances: Hormones such as cortisol, thyroid hormones, and estrogen can affect weight management by influencing metabolism, appetite, and body composition. Hormonal imbalances can also lead to conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and hypothyroidism, making it more difficult to manage weight.
- Psychological factors: Psychological factors such as stress, emotional eating, and body image can also affect weight management. Stress and emotional eating can lead to overeating and weight gain, while negative body image can lead to disordered eating and weight cycling.
- Medications and Medical conditions: Certain medications, such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, and corticosteroids, can cause weight gain as a side effect. Certain medical conditions such as sleep apnea, Cushing’s Syndrome, and hypothyroidism can cause weight gain and make it more difficult to manage weight.
- Environmental factors: Environmental factors such as access to healthy food options, availability of safe places to be physically active, and transportation can also affect weight management.
Many of these factors can interact with each other, making it even more challenging to manage weight sometimes.
Weight Management Techniques
Weight management is a complex and multi-faceted topic that requires a comprehensive approach. The most effective strategies for achieving and maintaining a healthy weight involve lifestyle changes, including healthy eating, regular physical activity, and behavior modification.
- Putting a calorie count: One technique for weight management is to count the number of calories consumed daily. This can help individuals better understand their calorie intake and make more informed food choices.
- Intake tracking regularly: Tracking your intake regularly, whether it is through a food diary or an app, can help individuals understand their eating habits, identify triggers for overeating, and make healthier choices.
- Keeping a healthy menu: Meal planning is another technique for weight management. It allows individuals to plan, make healthier food choices and avoid impulse eating, often related to unhealthy options.
- Eating the right food: The timing of meals can also play a role in weight management. Eating a balanced breakfast can help control hunger throughout the day, and avoiding late-night snacking can help prevent unnecessary calorie intake.
- Applying FFIT (Fun, Frequency, Intensity, Time) in daily routine: FFIT is a mnemonic for Fun, Frequency, Intensity, and Time. It is a technique that encourages individuals to find physical activities they enjoy and perform them frequently, with sufficient intensity and duration.
In conclusion, weight management is a complex process that can be approached in many ways. It is important to talk to a professional before starting any weight loss program, as they can provide personalized recommendations based on an individual’s health history, medications, and other factors.
Ask Your Question
6 Tips to Help You Lose Weight
- Probiotics for weight loss: Probiotics are beneficial bacteria in fermented items such as yogurt, sauerkraut, and kimchi. Studies show that probiotics can help with weight loss by enhancing gut health and reducing inflammation.
- Exercise for weight loss: Exercise is an important component of weight loss, as it helps to burn calories and build muscle. The best exercise routine for weight loss includes cardio exercises like cycling, running, and swimming, as well as strength-training exercises such as weightlifting and bodyweight exercises.
- Medications for weight loss: Some medicines, such as Orlistat, Liraglutide, and Phentermine-topiramate, are available as weight loss medication under the supervision of a healthcare professional. These medications work by suppressing appetite, increasing feelings of fullness, or blocking fat absorption.
- Surgery for weight loss: Bariatric surgery for weight loss, such as gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy, may be recommended for individuals who are severely obese and haven’t been able to achieve weight loss through other methods.
- Intermittent fasting: This is an eating method where individual cycles between periods of eating and fasting. It is effective for weight loss, but it should be done under the supervision of a healthcare professional, as it may not be suitable for everyone.
- Healthy meals for weight loss: The best foods for weight loss are those high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats and low in calories and added sugars. Some examples include lean meats such as chicken and fish, non-starchy vegetables such as broccoli and spinach, and weight-loss fruits such as berries and apples. Whole grains, such as oats and quinoa, and legumes, such as lentils and chickpeas, are also great. You can find easy-to-make dinner recipes to lose weight online or from nutritionists.
It’s worth noting that losing weight is a complicated process and that different methods may be more effective for different people. Additionally, it’s important to consult a healthcare professional as your needs might defer depending on numerous factors.
How Ongo Care Can Help?
Ongo Care consists of a team of professionals that help you with weight management through counseling, weight management tools, medications, diet plans, and exercise plans. They would require effort from your end but guarantee results if everything is done per instructions. Ongo Care professionals always consider your health before making decisions, and you’ll always be in the loop for each one. As an online health service, they also provide convenience and accessibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does an Online Weight Management consultation work?
Online weight management consultation doesn’t require you to be present with the doctor in a physical space. An online platform is used, but the doctor conducts all the necessary tests and discussions as they would in person.
How can I lose weight online?
Many weight loss apps help you understand diet requirements and exercises that cater specifically to your body. Following that, you can lose weight.
Who can become a virtual weight Management patient?
Anyone between 18 to 80 can choose to become a patient for a Weight Management program.
Does a specialist doctor prescribe medication? If yes, then What types of medication does a specialist doctor prescribe?
Bariatric healthcare providers specialize in treating overweight or obese people. Weight management specialists provide medications only after fully understanding the full extent of your health conditions so that medications can vary.
How is online Weight Management different from formal consultation?
Online weight management differs from traditional consultation in a few ways, such as remote consultations, which are more convenient and accessible. Additionally, online weight management programs include digital tools, such as wearable devices, apps, and online communities, which can track progress and provide additional support.
Do I have to participate in behavioral counseling?
Participation in behavioral counseling is not always mandatory. Still, it can be highly beneficial for many people as it can help address underlying issues related to weight gain and provide individuals with the tools and support needed to make lasting changes.
How do I know I'll get good treatment from online consultation?
Any online weight management program would require you to do extensive research into the professionals who are working, their qualifications, reviews from previous patients, etc. This would ensure that you receive quality treatment.
Are there any side effects from using a weight loss treatment?
Weight loss treatments, including online and in-person programs, can have side effects. The specific side effects will depend on the type of treatment you are using.
How do I know if weight loss medication is right for me?
To see whether weight loss medication is right for you depends on your age factor, health conditions, other medications you might already be taking, etc., as long as the side effects are not life-altering, medications are helpful tools.
Is there ongoing treatment monitoring from your care team?
Ongo Care works with qualified professionals for their weight management programs and thus has a high level of involvement in monitoring progress and real-time discussions.
Is there any type of counseling that will help me lose weight?
Behavioral counseling is a type of counseling that addresses the psychological and emotional aspects of weight loss. It can help individuals to develop the skills and strategies needed to make lifestyle changes that support weight loss and maintenance. Nutrition counseling also helps with managing food intake.